Tobacco & Smoke Free Health System Policy
Sparrow promotes a healthy and safe environment for all Associates, Physicians, Volunteers, Patients and Visitors. It is Sparrow Health System's policy to provide a tobacco free workplace and environment of care by prohibiting smoking and the use of tobacco products on its grounds and properties, and in its facilities. Smoking and tobacco usage are prohibited in all buildings owned and leased; including company owned vehicles and personal vehicles parked on Sparrow Health System's property. This policy includes the use of electronic cigarettes (otherwise known as e-cigarettes) as they are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a tobacco product or vaporizer pens. All Caregivers, Physicians, Volunteers and Visitors are required to comply with the Tobacco Free policy. This is in compliance with regulations and the directives of the Joint Commission standards.
Volunteer Release and Waiver of Liability
This Volunteer Release and Waiver of Liability ("Release") is made as of the date of the undersigned volunteer below ("Volunteer").
WHEREAS, Volunteer desires to work as a volunteer for Sparrow Health System, a Michigan nonprofit corporation ("SHS"), on behalf of itself and its affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively referred to as "Sparrow") and engage in activities related to serving as a volunteer ("Services"),
WHEREAS, Volunteer understands the duties expected of Volunteer and has read and understands the mission statement of Sparrow and its best practices procedures. Volunteer pledges to act and perform within these expectations, and
WHEREAS, Volunteer understands that the scope of Volunteer's relationship with Sparrow is limited to a volunteer position and that no compensation is expected in return for Services provided by Volunteer; that Sparrow will not provide any benefits traditionally associated with employment to Volunteer; and that Volunteer is responsible for his/her own insurance coverage in the event of personal injury or illness because of Volunteer's Services to Sparrow.
For good and valuable consideration, the undersigned hereby understands and agrees:
1. Waiver and Release: Volunteer releases and forever discharges and holds harmless Sparrow and its directors, officers, employees, agents, and volunteers, and its successors and assigns, from all liability, claims, and demands of whatever kind of nature, either in law or in equity, which arise or may hereafter arise from the Services Volunteer provides to Sparrow. Volunteer understands and acknowledges that Volunteer discharges Sparrow and its directors, officers, employees, agents, and volunteers, and its successors and assigns, from any liability or claim that Volunteer may have against Sparrow, with respect to bodily injury, personal injury, illness, death, or property damage that may result from the Services that Volunteer provides to Sparrow, or which occur while Volunteer is providing such Services.
2. Assistance and Insurance: Volunteer understands that Sparrow does not assume any responsibility for or obligation to provide Volunteer with financial or other assistance, including but not limited to medical, health, or disability benefits or insurance. Volunteer expressly waives any such claim for compensation or liability on the part of Sparrow beyond what may be offered freely by Sparrow in the event of injury or medical expenses incurred by Volunteer.
3. Medical Treatment: Volunteer hereby releases and forever discharges Sparrow and its directors, officers, employees and agents, and its successors and assigns, from any claim whatsoever which arises or may hereafter arise because any first-aid treatment or other medical services rendered in connection with an emergency during Volunteer's tenure as a volunteer with Sparrow.
4. Assumption of Risk: Volunteer understands that the Services Volunteer provides to Sparrow may include activities that may be hazardous to Volunteer. Volunteer hereby expressly assumes risk of injury or harm from these activities and releases Sparrow and its directors, officers, employees, agents, and volunteers, and its successors and assigns, from any and all liability, including but not limited to risk that Volunteer may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 and releases Sparrow and its directors, officers, employees, agents and volunteers, and its successors and assigns, from all liability arising from COVID-19 exposure or infection. Volunteer understands and acknowledges that given that COVID-19 is a novel virus, it is not possible to fully list every individual risk of contracting COVID-19.
For Volunteer and on behalf of Volunteer's heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, Volunteer hereby releases and holds harmless Sparrow and its past, present, and future officers, directors, trustees, employees, attorneys, and agents, with respect to any and all illness, disability, death, or damage to person or property associated with exposure to COVID-19, whether arising from the negligence of releasees or otherwise, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
5. Media Release: Volunteer consents to and allows any use and reproduction by Sparrow of any audio, video and photographs (in any media format including but not limited to electronic or digital) ("Media"), taken of Volunteer (or any family member of Volunteer) during the time Volunteer is providing Services. Volunteer understands that Sparrow will own the Media and the right to use or reproduce such Media, as well as the right to edit them or prepare derivative works, for the purposes of promotion, advertising, and public relations. Volunteer hereby consents to Sparrow's use of Volunteer's name, likeness or voice, and agrees that such use will not result in any liability to these parties for payment to any person or organization, including Volunteer.
6. Other: Volunteer expressly agrees that this Release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of Michigan and that this Release shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan. Volunteer agrees that if any clause or provision of this Release is deemed invalid, the enforceability of the remaining provisions of this Release shall not be affected.
I HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE FULLY READ AND UNDERSTAND EACH OF THE ABOVE PROVISIONS. I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT PRIOR TO SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY TO REVIEW THIS AGREEMENT. I AM AT LEAST EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS OF AGE AND FULLY COMPETENT, AND I EXECUTE THIS AGREEMENT VOLUNTARILY AND FOR ADEQUATE CONSIDERATION INTENDING TO BE FULLY BOUND.